By MomWise Contributor Franciel Ikeji
Hello Moms! I am a nutritionist by profession and I love this month’s focus on health and nutrition. I’d like to encourage us to return to the basics of healthy eating.
As a new mom, I understand that it can be difficult to find the time and energy to prepare healthy meals for the family. A major motivation should be that we need to be here for our children. Eating a variety of healthful foods helps reduce the risk of preventable, chronic diseases including type 2 diabetes, obesity, and heart disease.
Here are some nutrition tips to help us put our best fork forward this month:
- Start the day with a healthy breakfast. Skipping this meal can cause your body to use/burn calories very slowly if it thinks you’re starving yourself. Some quick and healthy breakfast options include:
- Boiled eggs, toast with peanut butter, yogurt, overnight oatmeal, fruit and veggie smoothies. These are great options for busy weekday mornings.
- Using a menu to plan your family’s meals for the week. – You can save time by preparing large batches of some items and portioning them for the week.
- Go green! Get creative with adding finely chopped spinach or kale (or leaves, as my husband calls them) into your dishes.
- Add greens to a smoothie, eggs, pasta, rice, meat pies, soups, and stews; a salad kit can be a quick lunch or addition to dinner.
Put your best fork forward and let’s help each other find a healthy eating style!