BY MomWise Ogey UCHEATU
Happy New Year! I can’t believe that we are already half way into the first month in the year 2018. I hope you had a relaxing and memorable Christmas break with your Families. It is a new year and I know that we have all made a list of new year resolutions. In our last blog, we provided a few tips on how to set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Result-focused and Time-bound) goals in 2018. This month we will focus a specific area of growth – our personal development.
As Wives and Mothers, it is so easy to get caught up in the vicious cycle of our day to day routine which revolves around our children, our spouses, home chores, homework and list goes on and on. However, this year we should be intentional about setting personal goals for our development.
According to a recent article, it was noted that “there is a strong correlation between self-motivation, personal goals and achievement.” Personal goals can help us manage our time more effectively. Therefore, it is beneficial for us to set at least one personal goal in the year 2018.
Here are a few examples of some personal goals that we can set as women to help with our self-development:
- Improve on your educational qualifications: Knowledge is power, and your mind is your greatest asset. A wise person once said that “the beautiful thing about education is that no one can take it away from you” (B.B. King). As a woman, you can empower yourself both financially and mentally by improving on your education. If you have an Associate degree, it is time to get a Bachelor’s degree. If you have a Bachelor’s degree, it is time to get a Master’s degree and if you have a Master’s degree, why not consider a PH.D.
- Obtain a certification or professional license: Another way to achieve personal growth is by staying abreast on the trends and new developments in your area of specialization. The world is constantly changing, so we need to stay up to date. One of the ways to accomplish this is through trainings and certifications.
- Read/write a book: I have personally found that reading enlightens my outlook on life and the world at large. This year, you can commit to reading more books or even listening to audio books if you have a very busy schedule. For some women, God has placed in you a wealth of knowledge that can bless, and impact an entire generation so why not consider writing a book?
- Learn a new skill: Your hands are blessed. The bible says that “the Lord your God will bless your work and everything you touch” (Deuteronomy 15:10). Therefore, you can choose to learn a new skill this year that can be a source of additional income for your household. For example, if you are organized and you enjoy working with people, you can consider starting a business as an event planner.
- Schedule personal time to rest and pamper yourself: It is very important to carve out time for yourself. Take a day off work to simply rest or to visit the spa for a manicure, pedicure or a massage. It would help relieve stress and improve the quality of life.
In this year 2018, let us be intentional about taking steps in the right direction that will enable us to soar to greater heights. I leave you with some wise words from our very own Mother at Jesus House DC – “Do not be distracted. Be focused. Be disciplined. The time of lifting is a set time that nobody must miss!” (Pastor Omo Ghandi-Olaoye).